We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Starfighter Assault on Battlefront ll and now Battlefield V: Firestorm. Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline teams to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or video games, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion are working on their most ambitious projects to date, delivering Battlefield 5: Firestorm and a brand new, unannounced title. We are growing our team with fresh, talented people who can help us take a huge leap forward.
To achieve that we need world-class shader technical artists who can create the most believable photo real physically based shaders and materials using a combination of creative skill and technical shader creation techniques.
What a Shader Technical Artist does at Criterion:
The Shader Technical Artist is responsible for the development of artistic techniques and processes including: shader networks, texture assets and VFX shading networks that support realising the creative vision for the game. This includes collaborating with Lead Artists, Technical and Art Directors to create prototypes for the project, develop innovative & efficient material and texturing workflows, tools & pipelines and work with internal and external teams to deliver final renderable assets.
The Shader Technical Artist is passionate about quality, will be highly skilled at creating effective shader and material solutions that drive high levels of visual quality. They are driven to innovate material workflow solutions across art disciplines and studios within EA as they will be joining a global team of some of the best artists in the world.
A Shader Technical Artist also needs:
- Multiple shipped titles creating great looking, real time shaders and materials.
- Great collaboration and communication skills: a solution focussed problem solver.
- Ability to analyse reference and concept art to create real-time renderable assets using shader networks and templates.
- Extensive experience using Substance suite’s procedural material workflows and pipelines.
- Experience with physically based shader texture sets and pipelines.
- Knowledge of, or strong interest in learning HLSL/GLSL, including shader optimisation.
- Knowledge of UV tools and methods.
- Proficient in the use of Z-Brush or Mud box to create normal maps, heights maps and displacement maps.
- Experience working with shaders in game engine like Unreal or Unity
- Portfolio with examples of shaders, textures and VFX assets.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer competitive compensation packages, but more importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
- Competitive salary plus annual bonus scheme
- Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free onsite gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- Onsite café
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer & Christmas)
- Casual dress code
- Games Area
We thought you might also want to know:
We’re based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London. Our office is a short walk from the train station and town centre.
More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.