We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Starfighter Assault on Battlefront ll and now Battlefield V: Firestorm. Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline teams to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or video games, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion are working on their most ambitious projects to date, delivering Battlefield 5: Firestorm and a brand new, unannounced title. We are growing our team with fresh, talented people who can help us take a huge leap forward.
We’re looking for world class rigging technical artists who can create the most believable animating and deforming characters and the most realistically articulated vehicles that move perfectly in the environment whether sea, air or land. We are looking for creative, collaborative and passionate people to join the team and help us build our next amazing game.
What a Rigging Technical Artist does at Criterion:
The Rigging Technical Artist is responsible for the development of character, vehicle and prop rigging that supports realising the creative vision for the game. This includes collaborating with Lead Character Technical Artist and Animation Director to create prototypes for the project, develop innovative & efficient rigging workflows, tools & pipelines and work with internal and external teams to deliver final rigged assets.
The Rigging Technical Artist is passionate about quality, will be highly skilled at creating effective rigging solutions that drive high levels of animation & deformation quality. They are driven to innovate rigging solutions across multiple disciplines and studios within EA as they will be joining a global team of some of the best artists in the world.
A Rigging Technical Artist also needs:
- Multiple shipped title creating rigging/animation/character pipelines.
- Strong experience with Python, C# or C++ and familiarity with the Maya API (MotionBuilder API experience a plus).
- Great collaboration and communication skills: a solution focussed problem solver.
- Confidence finding solutions that balance the needs of different stakeholders.
- Expertise in rigging and skinning complex character assets and rigging complex vehicle assets.
- Ability to design, create and test complex character and vehicle rigs.
- An exceptional understanding of animation principles and human anatomy.
- Experience with Motion capture and solving.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer competitive compensation packages, but more importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
- Competitive salary plus annual bonus scheme
- Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free onsite gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- Onsite café
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer & Christmas)
- Casual dress code
- Games Area
We thought you might also want to know:
We’re based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London.
Our office is a short walk from the train station and town centre.