Lead UI Artist
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Starfighter Assault on Battlefront ll and now Battlefield V: Firestorm. Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline teams to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or videogames, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion are embarking on their most ambitious projects to date, delivering Battlefield 5: Firestorm and a brand new, unannounced title. We are growing our team with fresh, talented people who can help us take a huge leap forwards.
We require a Lead UI Artist with a strong understanding of user interface design principles and the creative flair of a graphic designer. You will be expected to drive the design and implementation of in game UI as well as collaborate with other crafts within the UX team and across the wider studio.
What a Lead UI Artist does at Criterion:
The Lead UI Artist is responsible for designing the look and flow of UI across the game, including front end and in game elements. You should be confident defining the UI goals with the Art and Technical Directors and collaborating with the Development Directors on delivery plans. You will be part of a team that works collaboratively in an iterative design process; breaking down deliverables; sharing regular updates and delivering on commitments.
Your design experience is key to creating a UI vision that balances the needs of the Art Director and the Game Director: being sympathetic with the overall art style and delivering an immersive consistent gaming experience. You will also work with a multi-discipline team of artists, engineers, UX designers and technical artists providing briefs, style guides and prototypes alongside inspiration, motivation and mentorship.
A Lead UI Artist also needs:
- Extensive relevant experience within the games industry with shipped titles in a lead role on current generation consoles.
- Passion for creating immersive UI experiences for our players
- Excellent and proven graphic and information design background.
- Strong usability design/test experience.
- Experience of prototyping user/data flows prior to development (Visio, Balsamiq, wireframing, adobe XD etc.)
- Excellent communicator and collaborator who loves to work with programmers, designers, and other artists.
- Expert with standard art and motion graphics tools (Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects etc.).
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer competitive compensation packages, but more importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
- Competitive salary plus annual bonus scheme
- Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free onsite gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- Onsite café
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer & Christmas)
- Casual dress code
- Games Area
We thought you might also want to know:
We’re based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London.
Our office is a short walk from the train station and town centre.