We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Starfighter Assault on Battlefront ll and now Battlefield V: Firestorm. Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline teams to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or video games, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion are working on their most ambitious projects to date, delivering Battlefield 5: Firestorm and a brand new, unannounced title. We are growing our team with fresh, talented people who can help us take a huge leap forward.
We’re looking for a Lead Character Artist to work collaboratively as part of a tight-knit, highly creative and cross-discipline team to deliver the next generation of believable and relatable characters.
What a Lead Character Artist does at Criterion:
The Lead Character Artist is responsible for leading a team of Character Artists to deliver believable characters and innovative character creation workflows. You will be part of a team that works collaboratively in an iterative design process; breaking down deliverables; sharing regular updates and delivering on commitments.
Your experience, passion, communication and collaboration are key to creating amazing Characters. Working with Concept, Rigging, Animation and Narrative on creative and technical challenges; defining goals and deliverables with the Production team while leading and inspiring Character artists inside and outside the studio.
A Lead Character Artist also needs:
- Extensive experience leading internal teams on multiple shipped AAA titles on current generation platforms.
- An expert understanding of anatomy, costume and characterisation.
- Strong understanding of real-time character creation challenges, current and future trends.
- Experience providing creative briefs, reference, style guides, visual targets and prototypes.
- Experience mentoring, providing feedback and offering guidance on techniques.
- Experience working collaboratively in an iterative design process.
- Energy, passion and drive to make the best characters and evangelise character art.
- Should be articulate and a real team player.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer competitive compensation packages, but more importantly, because we love working with world-class creators, we maintain a culture that thrives on creative freedom and autonomy.
- Competitive salary plus annual bonus scheme
- Central location in Guildford (5 minutes from main train station)
- Private medical insurance & dental care
- Pension scheme
- Life insurance
- Stock plans
- Free onsite gym
- Employee discounts
- Rail season ticket loan
- Annual game points and digital download allowance
- Onsite café
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer & Christmas)
- Casual dress code
- Games Area
We thought you might also want to know:
We’re based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London. Our office is a short walk from the train station and town centre.
More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.