We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout and Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront, Starfighter Assault on Battlefront ll and now Battlefield V: Firestorm. Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, outstanding game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, encouraging cross-discipline teams to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or video games, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
What an Environment Artist does at Criterion:
We are looking for creative, collaborative and passionate people to help us create beautiful, immersive worlds that enhance the game experience. We need your creative and technical skills and understanding of the world to build assets, shaders, and compositions that surround the player with breathtaking vistas.
You will report to the Environment Director alongside other artists, Level Designers and Technical Artists. The team operates a highly collaborative and iterative design process where all voices are valued and encouraged, in an environment that fosters growth and autonomy.
Our Environment Team is drawn to people with:
- Experience creating high-quality 3D environments from concept art and photo reference
- An eye for level layout and passion for scene dressing
- Knowledge of production techniques including; high-low poly baking, modular asset creation, whiteboxing, physically based rendering and sculpting
- Knowledge of 3D content creation and texturing tools such as Maya, 3ds Max, Photoshop and Substance Painter/Designer
- Traditional art skills, appreciation of composition, lighting, colour and detail
- Experience creating open world games and understand tech limitations
- A positive can-do attitude
- Love of art and games
- Passion for pushing visual quality and production techniques
- Previous AAA game development experience
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
Naturally, we offer great benefits packages, but more importantly, because we love working with outstanding creators, we maintain a culture that appreciates creative freedom and autonomy.
- Great compensation package, annual bonus scheme and stock plans.
- Benefits including private medical insurance, dental care, pension scheme and life insurance.
- Extras like employee discounts, Rail season ticket loan, free games.
- 25 days holiday (including 3 days company shutdown days between Christmas & New Year)
- Two annual staff parties (Summer and Christmas)
- Casual dress code
We thought you might also want to know:
We’re based in the lovely town of Guildford – 35 minutes from central London.
Our office has an onsite café and gym and is a short walk from the train station and town centre.