3D Artist (Hard Surface), Requisition Number:153718
We’re Criterion, and we love making games!
Over the last fifteen years we’ve entertained millions of players around the world with our award-winning games. From Burnout & Need for Speed to the critically acclaimed VR mission for Star Wars Battlefront and now Starfighter Assault on Battlefront ll, Criterion have always pushed the boundaries, delivering through technical excellence, world-class game feel and AAA audiovisual quality.
We place enormous value on creative collaboration, fresh ideas, and unique perspectives. Our studio is a healthy mix of industry veterans and newcomers working together to inspire, support, and educate one another. We encourage free experimentation, innovation and exploration very explicitly with regular “off-the-grid” time.
Criterion don’t put people in boxes. Folks here have freedom to navigate their careers the way their hearts take them – we’re not big on labels. Our features are built by teams who choose to work together, actively encouraging cross-discipline crack squads to solve the toughest problems.
The working day has space carved out for everyone to play games – by themselves or together, be they tabletop or videogames, we love them all. Learning from the widest range of experiences makes our own games better.
Over the years, we’ve learned that crunching is flat-out stupid, so we don’t do it.
The Challenge Ahead:
Criterion are embarking on their most ambitious projects to date, delivering Battlefield 5: Firestorm and a brand new, unannounced title. We are growing our team with fresh, talented people who can help us take a huge leap forward.
Criterion is looking for an experienced 3D Artist to join the creation of vehicles, gadgets and machines in our games.
You will be key for the success of Hard Surface asset creation across a distributed production environment, working with internal/external teams and outsourcers. You will help define visual benchmarks that set the bar for mechanical design, damage, deformation and customisation. You will bring innovative processes to creating models, textures and shading.
What a 3D Artist does at Criterion:
- Create high poly and game-resolution assets in Maya or any other major 3D package (3dsMax, Modo), complete with textures and shaders.
- Work closely with the Art Director and the Lead Artist to ensure the visual target is met.
- Actively participate in the definition of outsource content, design and review.
- Develop mechanical asset production techniques with the Hard Surface team.
- Work with the Lead Artist to define art quality methods and delivery and review final quality of outsource vendor.
- Work with outsource partners to define requirements and deliver quality.
A 3D Artist also needs:
- A strong portfolio, demonstrating proficiency as a Hard Surface Artist (vehicles, weapons, mechanical assets)
- A passion for playing and making games.
- Extensive Hard Surface experience on current-gen consoles and PC.
- Strong understanding of the full game asset production process.
- Experience with Substance Designer and Painter.
- Excellent knowledge of Photoshop, and/or Illustrator for texture creation.
- Ability to translate concept art ideas in fully detailed 3D assets.
- Ability to work closely and communicate with other disciplines to tackle challenges and solve problems.
- Ability to learn quickly and comprehend custom in-house tools.
- Experience working with outsourcers as part of a distributed development environment.
- Experience with ZBrush (or equivalent) to speed up workflows and increase final quality.
- Experience with PBR workflows.
- Experience with Unreal Engine.
- Experience with realtime and offline render engines (Marmoset, Vray, Arnold, Redshift)
- Experience with Houdini.
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We realise it takes world-class people to make world-class games, so we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality.